Peoria Area Chamber President Background and Accomplishments
Jeffrey M. Griffin
Griffin is currently living in Wooster, Ohio with his wife Rosy and three children. Griffin graduated from The Ohio State University with a B.A. in Criminology and the University of Texas at Arlington with a M.S. in Social Work, before becoming a Licensed Independent Social Worker. Griffin’s career includes over 20 years of experience in social services and youth counseling. He worked for the Village Network in Wooster for 10 years, including three years as Regional Director. In addition, he worked as a Social Worker for Father Flanagan’s Boys Home/Girls and Boys Town in Nebraska and as a Social Worker for the Forth Worth Independent School District. Griffin was recruited to serve as President of the Wooster Area Chamber of Commerce in 2008.
Wooster Area Chamber of Commerce
Griffin served as President of the Wooster Area Chamber of Commerce for four years, leaving in 2012 to fulfill an interest in an entrepreneurial role with Edward Jones. While serving as President, Griffin graduated from the U.S. Chamber’s Institute for Organization Management in 2012. During his four-year tenure as President, Griffin had many accomplishments:
· 81 business members saved a total of $212,335 in Ohio Worker’s Compensation costs through participation in Chamber group rating/safety council program
· Hosted Small Business Development training sessions, free of charge through Chamber’s partnership with the Ohio Department of Development. Ohio Results: 485 businesses started and 3,833 jobs created
· 26 members qualified for workers’ compensation premium discounts based on safety council accomplishments. Discounts totaled $42,866
· Consistently facilitated road and infrastructure improvements with the Ohio Department of Transportation in coordination with the City of Wooster and the Wayne County Commissioners
· Hosted business/legislative meetings with area legislators
Today, the Wooster Area Chamber of Commerce is 106 years old and has a membership-base of 800 members. The Wooster Area Chamber of Commerce strengthens the economic base and appeal of the Wooster area by providing services that support the success of its members while encouraging active community leadership. The three tiers supporting this mission include workforce preparedness and education, legislative advocacy, and community development. The Wooster Area Chamber also supports a growing young professional’s organization.
Wooster Community Leadership
In Wooster, Griffin served as the Ward 4 representative for four years on City Council before being elected council president; a role he held until assuming the role of Wooster Area Chamber President. He also served on a number of different boards and committees including:
· Chamber of Commerce Executives of Ohio, Board Member-Treasurer
· Wayne Economic Development Council & Main Street Wooster, Board Member
· Wooster Rotary, Board Member
· The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks #1346
· Wooster Youth Baseball, Board Member and Manager
· Leadership Wooster, Alumnus of the Year 2006 and Steering Committee Member
· Ohio Juvenile Inter-Court Committee, Steering Committee Member
· John Glenn Institutue L2000+ Leadership Academy, Fellow
· City of Wooster, Member of Finance, Public Utilities and Public Properties Committees
Griffin was selected through the national search process after the Board engaged Waverly Partners, LLC as its executive search firm. The search committee was attracted to his professional experience, leadership, and ability to collaborate well with others. Griffin will assume the Peoria Area Chamber President role beginning on February 10, 2014.